April 02, 2010

We May Have a Winner

So everytime I make banana bread (and it seems like it is quite often because of ripe bananas on my counter), I try a new recipe...not that any of them taste THAT different, but I have wanted one that I really, really liked. Yesterday I came across this one and we are loving it. (I can't remember the website I got it from, so sorry that I can't credit the right person.) I didn't put in the nuts, because we are a no-nut household, but we did add the chocolate chips, and my husband loved it. I halfed the recipe because I only had 3 ripe bananas, but now I wish I had had 6!

Ingredients:

1 cup shortening (I used butter)
2 cups white sugar
2 eggs
2 Tbsp. mayonnaise
6 very ripe bananas, mashed
3 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. baking soda
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (optional)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Directions:

1-Preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease two 9x5 loaf pans (after I greased the pan, I sprinkled inside with cinn/sugar.

2-In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Stir in the eggs one at a time, beating well with each addition. Stir in the mayonnaise and bananas. Stir together the flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Blend the flour mixture into the banana mixture; stir just enough to evenly combine. Fold in the chocolate chips and walnuts.

3-Bake at 350 until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean (approx. 50-75 min.) Cool loaf in the pan for 20 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

2 comments:

jamie said...

i've heard mayonnaise is always the secret ingredient. i've never made a loaf of banana bread that i've liked, so maybe i'll have to give this one a try!

meg said...

we put mayo in our carrot cake and it is soooo good. it helps the texture of our gluten-free cake.