p.s. the pepitas and the smoked gouda make this recipe.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 large onion, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 20 ounces prepared whole-wheat pizza dough, (see Note), thawed if frozen
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh oregano, or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 hummus recipe
- 2 plum tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 cup finely shredded smoked Gouda, or Cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons pepitas
- Place oven rack in the lowest position; preheat to 450°F. Coat a large noninsulated baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Combine oil, onion and salt in a medium saucepan. Cover and cook over medium-high heat, stirring often, until the onion is softened, 5 to 7 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low, uncover and cook, stirring occasionally, until very soft and golden, 5 to 8 minutes more. Stir oregano and pepper into the onion.
- Meanwhile, roll out dough on a lightly floured surface to the size of the baking sheet. Transfer to the baking sheet and stick it with a fork in a few places. Bake until puffed and lightly crisped on the bottom, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Spread the hummus over the flat bread. Top with the onion, tomatoes, cheese, pepitas, and spinach, if using. Bake on the bottom rack until the crust is crispy and golden and the cheese is melted, 11 to 13 minutes. Slice and serve.