April 02, 2010

Danish Hotcakes

First off, sorry Jamie that it has taken me SO long to post this. I am so behind with my to-do lists that it is depressing. :-)

This is the recipe for the traditional breakfast that my family makes on Christmas, New Years, and Conference Sundays. I know this goes as far back as my great-grandpa making them, but I don't know if it goes back further than that.

------
Put in a large bowl:
2 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. sugar
2 tsp. nutmeg

Add:
4 1/3 cups milk. Mix lumps out with wire whip.
3 eggs - beat eggs one at a time into batter (really does make a difference!)

Grease pan...if it sticks, turn up temperature a little. (We use melted shortening to grease the pan. Grease pan before cooking each hotcake. Stovetop should be on medium (about a 5.)

Each scoop of batter is about 1/2 cup. Pour batter on hot pan and swirl pan around to get batter evenly across pan.

This is how we prepare them once they are cooked: (now mind you, these are super yummy, not super healthy!) Spread hotcake with butter, sprinkle with sugar, and then pour on half and half cream...spread around. Roll up hotcake, cut, and enjoy.
----

That is the recipe. Here are the hints:
*The batter is really thin...the hotcakes are thin like crepes.
*We use a special pan (cast iron), but in Australia we did them in a frying pan and that worked pretty well. I haven't tried it, but I am thinking that you could also use a crepe maker, but the hotcakes would be a little smaller.
*Flip the hotcakes when there are little holes forming on the top...a long thin spatula is best. They flip best if you go around the outside edges with spatula first so the sides don't stick.
*It isn't as confusing as I am making it out to be...there is just kind of a technique. If you have any questions, let me know.

3 comments:

Amy said...

I will definitely be trying these! Thanks for the tips.

Amy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jamie said...

yum!