April 03, 2010

Potato Flakes Recipe 1: cinnamon rolls


I decided to take a page out of Jamie's book and let you all know which new recipes I am trying solely for the sake of using potato flakes. This recipe turned out amazing well. Like AMAZINGLY well. Yes, I would even put them on par with Geraldine's cinnamon rolls.
Some differences between the two recipes:
  1. This recipe is not quite as sweet. Personally, I liked this better because I didn't feel overloaded with sugar
  2. The flavor is different than Geraldine's...but not in a bad way. I liked it just as much if not better but in a different way.

I used raisins this time and I've never used raisins in Geraldine's recipe...so maybe that changed some flavor action for me too. Also, I substituted unsalted butter for the shortening. Other than that...I followed the recipe exactly!



Source: Southern Living Magazine; November, 1999

FOR THE ROLLS:
1/2 cup potato flakes
1 cup water
2 envelopes dry yeast
2 cups warm water
9 1/2 to 10 cups flour
5 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup sugar
1 cup shortening, melted
1 Tbsp. salt
FOR THE FILLING:
1/2 cup butter softened
1 1/3 cups brown sugar
4 tsp. cinammon
1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
1/2 cup raisins (optional)
Glaze (powdered sugar mixed with a small amount of milk or water)

Stir together potato flakes and one cup water; microwave (high) three minutes, stir.

Combine yeast and two cups warm water; let stand five minutes.

Combine the mashed potato mixture, four cups flour, eggs, sugar, shortening, and salt in very large bowl. Stir in yeast mixture until blended. Gradually stir in remaining 5 1/2 to 6 cups flour until soft dough forms. Cover and let rise in warm place one hour or until doubled.

Divide dough in half. Roll each portion into an 18x15-inch rectangle Spread each with half of butter. Sprinkle each rectangle with 2/3 cup brown sugar, 2 tsp. cinnamon, 1/4 cup pecans and, if desired, raisins.

Roll up, starting at long end. Cut each roll into 12 slices (for huge rolls). Put into two 13x9-inch pans. Cover and let rise 30 minutes or until doubled.

Bake in a preheated 375 degree F oven for 25 minutes or until golden. Cool.

Drizzle with glaze.

Note:
Unbaked rolls may be frozen. Thaw 8 hours in fridge before baking.

(I froze 6 of my rolls .... I thawed out one of the rolls on the pan I was going to bake it on, and let it thaw out on the counter overnight and in the morning it was doubled in size---it turned out great)

***Instead of rolling it out on flour, I spread a little melted butter on the counter and rubbed it around with my hands. Then I rubbed it on the rolling pin and all over my hands. The dough didn't stick to ANYTHING and it was great. :-) ***

3 comments:

jamie said...

interesting! i'll have to try it. also, this is not intended to be only my recipe book, so feel welcomed to put your good stuff on here!

Amy said...

Lol, I meant that I was copying you with your vegetarian Day 1, Day 2 etc headings!

jamie said...

now that i re-read it, what you said totally makes sense. i don't know what's wrong with my brain...