February 18, 2011

Squash Curry Soup

After surfing the net for a recipe for an extra spaghetti squash I had lying around, I ended up melding several recipes to make this tasty soup. I'm sure the kind of curry powder you use makes a big difference. I buy mine at the Indian market and find it much better than the kind at a traditional grocery store. The only sad part was that there were no leftovers.

Squash Curry Soup

Saute in butter, in a medium pot:

1 small onion, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped (or 1 teaspoon celery seeds)
1 carrot, chopped very small
1 peeled potato, chopped very small

When onions are soft, stir in:

2 tablespoons flour
2 teaspoons bouillon or base
½ teaspoon dill
¼ teaspoon curry powder
dash ground cayenne pepper

Gradually add:

2 cups chicken broth
1-2 cups milk or cream or yogurt

Boil 4 minutes. Add:
3 cups precooked squash (acorn or spaghetti)
salt and pepper

Put in blender or use immersion blender. Top with bacon if you want.

Pre-cooking squash: After slicing my finger cutting a squash, I learned that you don't actually have to cut them before cooking. I now bake them whole (with a few punctures) at 350 degrees for about an hour. Then I scrape out the good stuff and store it for later.

No comments: